The Meadow Lake Tribal Council (MLTC) is seeking dynamic, motivated individuals to fill two (2) full-time, 2 year term positions of Aboriginal Courtworkers. One position will be based out of the Buffalo Narrows Sub Office and the other will be based out of the Meadow Lake office. The Aboriginal Courtworkers will facilitate and enhance access to justice by assisting the MLTC First Nation membership who are involved in the criminal justice system to obtain fair, just, equitable, and culturally competent treatment.
Duties: (Include, but not limited to)
- Identify individuals who require services with emphasis on early intervention
- Interview clients to see information to collect reporting information; explain the charge, court process, i.e. release, remand, release conditions, adjournment, etc.
- Explain the reason(s) for the accused charges and provide general information on legal rights (i.e. right to counsel) and responsibilities in regard to the charge(s)
- Speak to Crown to get Crown position on sentencing and provide information regarding accused to Crown
- Prepare client for court appearance (assist client to obtain legal counsel, explain procedures, etc.)
- Do liaison work with agencies that can assist the accused (RCMP, defense council, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills & Attributes:
- Combination of relevant education and experience
- Certificate, Diploma or Degree from an accredited Justice related program.
- Have excellent organizational, decision making and professional judgement skills.
- Excellent communication (written/verbal), interviewing, and presentation skills.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills.
- Ability to speak the Cree/Dene language is a definite asset.
- Knowledge of, and sensitivity towards Aboriginal cultures is also an asset.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and able to travel extensively.
Interested applicants are invited to submit: A letter of application; resume stating qualifications and employment history; copies of credentials; current RCMP Security Clearance (Criminal Records Check with a Vulnerable Sector Check); copy of valid driver’s license; and a list of three (3) current supervisory references to:
Human Resources Department
8003 Flying Dust Reserve
MEADOW LAKE, SK S9X 1T8
Phone: (306) 236-5654 Fax: (306) 236-3509
For more information, please contact Christine Derocher, Senior Director of Programs @ (306)236-5654 or visit the MLTC website at www.mltc.net
Deadline: Friday, May 21, 2021
MLTC sincerely appreciates and thanks all individuals for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.