Family Wellness Counsellor
MLTC was created by nine First Nations located in north-west Saskatchewan who have constitutionally recognized aboriginal rights and Treaty Rights under Treaties #6, #8 and #10. The primary purpose of MLTC is to serve those First Nations in their aspirations for cultural, economic and political autonomy. As a private sector employer engaged primarily in promoting and serving the interests of the member First Nations, MLTC asserts its right to provide preferential treatment to First Nations people, giving them priority in decisions on employment matters such as hiring, and this can extend to measures such as opening competitions only to First Nations people.
- This competition is open to all applicants; and
- Preference will be given to qualified First Nations applicants or other Indigenous applicants who self-declare as being a First Nations person or of other Indigenous ancestry.
The MLTC Health & Social Development is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the full time, permanent position of Family Wellness Counsellor. The Family Wellness Counsellor will provide counselling and follow up support services to clients at the Waskoosis Safe Shelter and (9) Meadow Lake First Nations.
The Family Wellness Counsellor must have previous experience in counselling. Preference will be given to the candidate who has experience in counselling victims of domestic violence or experience in trauma related work.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing holistic and comprehensive case management services to all clients including: intake assessment, goal setting, case plan development, progress monitoring, advocacy and referrals.
- Connecting families with needed and available community resources. Follow-up with clients and agencies as needed.
- Facilitating individual and group counselling.
- Safety planning and danger assessments.
- Provide support to clients regarding the justice system, CFS, and other legal issues.
- Preparing and maintaining accurate client documentation and reports.
- Promoting safety, independence and healing for victims of domestic violence.
- Helping clients identify their strengths, enhance their skills and empower themselves for a future free of abuse.
- Preparing Reports and proposals.
- Other assigned duties.
- Master’s degree in one of the following areas (Social Work, Counseling, Psychology or related human services field).
- 2 years’ experience in counselling field; domestic violence or trauma related counselling.
- Ability to motivate others towards achieving goals.
- Strong decision-making ability.
- Excellent interpersonal, time-management, and organizational skills.
- Work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Be familiar with and understand First Nation barriers/issues/culture.
- Possess the capacity to work with culturally-diverse individuals, families and communities; be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Willingness to travel and possession of valid driver’s license.
- Possess computer knowledge/skills (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.).
- Ability to speak Cree / Dene is considered a valuable asset.
Interested applicants are invited to submit: A letter of application, resume stating qualifications, related work experience, copies of credentials, current RCMP Security Clearance (Criminal Record Check), copy of valid driver’s license, and three (3) recent professional supervisory references to:
Human Resource Department
8003 Flying Dust Reserve
MEADOW LAKE, SK S9X 1T8
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (306) 236-5654 Fax: (306) 236-3509
For more information, please contact Sheila Mirasty, Waskosis Safe Shelter Manager @ (306) 236-5817, or visit the MLTC Website @ www.mltc.ca
Deadline: Friday, March 24, 2023