Land Based Education Teacher
Kopahawakenum Community School is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated individual to fill the position of Land Based Education Teacher for the 2023-24 school year. The Land Based Education (LBE) Teacher will design, organize and implement a land-based program that reflects Flying Dust First Nation’s cultural and land use practices while making purposeful connections to the Saskatchewan Curriculum. The teacher will work in partnership with FDFN programs, Elders, Knowledge Keepers and KCS teachers to assist in cross-curricular activities and planning. This position provides leadership and guidance in all aspects of community school programming. It leads the school and community in integrated services, community development and facilitates student, staff, parent, and community involvement in the school.
The school is located on the Flying Dust First Nation on the northeast side of the City of Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan. The Kopahawakenum Community School offers a complete, modern educational program from Kindergarten to Grade 8. The school features a gym with change rooms, a multi-purpose room, a library, a home economics room, PAA room, science and computer labs, and several resource areas.
The beautifully designed school hosts a pre-kindergarten program to grade 8. The school has created a welcoming environment for learning and provides ample opportunities for the students. Kopahawakenum Community School promotes a strong balanced literacy program while incorporating language and culture into their school identity.
- Bachelor of Education degree or higher from an accredited institution; Eligible for a Saskatchewan Professional “A” or Provisional Professional “A” teaching certificate.
- Have a working knowledge of Canada’s Indigenous Peoples and to integrate their culture, values and history into the curriculum.
- Able to attain and maintain a valid Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector
- Holds a valid driver’s
- Ability to speak Cree will be considered an
- Experience teaching in a First Nations context and implementing land-based education practices will be considered an
- Accommodate and include special needs children by adjusting teaching styles and curriculum as required for inclusion.
- Committed to completing the school year.
- We offer our employees: STF Provincial Salary Grid; Comprehensive Benefits Package & Pension Plan including CPP.
Interested applicants are invited to submit: A letter of application; current resume stating qualifications and employment history; copies of credentials; current RCMP Security Clearance/Vulnerable Sector Check; a copy of valid driver’s license; and a list of three (3) current professional supervisory references to:
Human Resources Department
8003 Flying Dust First Nation
Meadow Lake, SK S9X 1T8
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (306) 236-5654 Fax: (306) 236-1357
For more information, please contact Cheryl Derocher, Principal @ (306) 236-9513, or visit our website at www.mltc.net
Deadline to apply: Friday, November 24, 2023
MLTC sincerely appreciates and thanks all individuals for their applications,
however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.