The Birch Narrows Dene Nation (BNDN) is currently recruiting for the key management role of Mental Health/Wellness Therapist. This is a permanent full-time position within the Health Centre of BNDN. Working under the support and supervision provided by the Health Director. Your considerable experience and primary role will support the needs of community members in crisis, at risk, or requiring generalist or specialist care from you. It is intended that, whenever and wherever possible, you will provide clinical training and feedback to a potential range of 1st and 2nd level counsellors. You may also be asked to participate in managing or supporting during crisis and/or to provide workshops and training on relatable issues.
In addition to delivering direct crisis and clinical counselling, the general maintenance and protection of client files, your work priorities and regular reports will connect with the needs of the BNDN Community Wellness plans as approved by Chief and Council, by the BNDN Wellness Plan, and by related Mental Health and Addictions legislations and BNDN approved protocols. You will work with individuals, families and groups to promote optimum wellbeing/mental health.
Knowledge, Experience, Education
1) Psychology — Knowledge of the lifespan of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of mental health disorders, wellness and addictions disorders or concerns.
2) Therapy and Counseling — Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of mental dysfunctions.
3) English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, good grammar, and good English writing skills.
4) Knowledge Exchange as a Facilitator — Knowledge of generalist psychotherapy/psychology/& or social work (health and social development) principles and methods for curriculum and training design, facilitation/teaching and instruction for individuals and groups in a knowledge exchange format, and the ability for measurement of training effects.
5) Sociology and Anthropology — Knowledge of, group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, ethnicity, First Nations cultures and their history and origins.
- A range of comprehensive therapeutic counselling skills earned from significant experience with client centred, holistic therapies and treatment approaches; a specific understanding of the Medicine Wheel and/or the AFN Mental Wellness continuum framework is desired.
- A Bachelor or Master’s Degree in MH and Wellness, Social Work, Psychology or related social science with a minimum of 5 years as a certified clinical counsellor, or a very clear equivalent is required.
- Experience in First Nations Health services and community wellness building experience backed by good references is desired.
Interested applicants are invited to submit: Résumé stating qualifications, related work experience, copies of credentials, current RCMP Security Clearance/Vulnerable Sector Check, copy of valid driver’s license to:
Corinne Laprise, Human Resource
Deadline: Open until position is filled
BNDN sincerely appreciates and thanks all individuals for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.