Elder Mental Health Advisor
Location: Meadow Lake Tribal Council
Program: Health & Social Development
Employment Terms: Full Time
Length of Employment: Other
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: 09/09/2019
Expiration Date: 09/20/2019
Elder Mental Health Support Advisor
Term Position Ends March 31, 2020
MLTC Health and Social Development Department is seeking a dynamic motivated individual to fill the Term position of Elder Mental Health Support Advisor.
The MLTC Elder Mental Health Support Advisor will support the Meadow Lake First Nations to strengthen the use of cultural and traditional approaches to mental health wellness therapy supports to children 0-18 years old, and their families. To respond effectively to support life, and provide caring and respectful mental health services to our children, youth and families.
POSITIONS DUTIES (include but not limited to):
· Will Strengthen community cultural mental health support capacity by working with First Nations elders, community wellness counselors and mental health therapist
· Will be cultural responsive, cultural safe, and cultural competent in the areas of mental health and wellness
· Will support, MLTC Health Plan (2017), and be knowledgeable of the AFN mental Health Continuum Framework, the FSIN Cultural Framework, and support best practices that enable cultural mental health support programming for the First Nations
· Will ensure data, reporting, client case management documentation to meet programming reporting requirements, and promote knowledge exchange on various initiatives that will support the MLFN and funding partners on the successful cultural based mental health practices.
· Will engage community in cultural protocols to support mental health wellness through teachings about resilience and coping skills
· Will recognize that ceremony, language, and traditions are important in helping to focus on strengths, and reconnecting children, youth and families themselves, the past, family, community and land within a holistic approach to mental health wellness.
· Will support FN elder support programming in working with individuals with youth mental health needs, to be able to address the impact of suicide impact, and support counselling efforts in dealing with grief and loss, bullying, cyber-bulling, self-esteem, racism, championing the overall goal is to support good mental health and wellness.
· Ability to speak Cree or Dene is vital to this position
· Recognize knowledge and understanding of the MLFN, beliefs, culture, and traditions to addressing mental health wellness
· Ability to work with MLFN Elders in using cultural practice to health wellness mental health support
· Able to embrace the practice and teaching, culture and traditional practices with dignity and respect
· Able to pass on teaching, culture and traditional practices to children, youth and their families that foster good mental health
· Work as a liaison with Leadership, health staff, elders, and youth mentors, in addressing mental health supports for children, youth and their family dynamics
· Be a facilitator, good in presentations, and good public speaker
· Demonstrates a healthy lifestyle
Interested applicants are invited to submit: A letter of application, resume stating qualifications, related work experience, copies of credentials, current RCMP Security Clearance/Vulnerable Sector Check, copy of valid driver’s license, and three (3) current professional supervisory references to:
Human Resource Department
8003 Flying Dust Reserve
MEADOW LAKE, SK S9X 1T8
Phone: (306) 236-5654 Fax: (306) 236-6301
For more information on position requirements, please contact Flora Fiddler, Senior Director of Health and Social Development @ (306) 236-5817 or visit our website @www.mltc.net.
Deadline: Friday, September 20, 2019
MLTC sincerely appreciates and thanks all individuals for their applications,
however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.