JORDAN’S PRINCIPLE MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST
Employment Type: (1) Full Time Position
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Flying Dust First Nation Health & Wellness Team is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated individual to provide mental health counselling services to our children, youth, and families.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Be the intake lead for the Jordan’s Principle Therapist/Counselling team, to ensure mental health therapy services are being allocated accordingly.
- Plan, organize and lead or designate to identified others, as appropriate, structured programs of counseling, work/study, recreation, health (holistic) and interest/skill or social activities for clients.
- Encourage children to express their feelings, and discuss their lives’ matters, to help them to develop insight into themselves and their relationships. Excellent attending skills, ability to ask guided questions and honoring the children’s’ pace and self-determination are highly regarded.
- Establishing therapeutic relationships by deeply listening to children’s stories, slowly building trust, and performing confidentiality.
- Provide therapy to children individually or in group settings; individual families, if appropriate or required.
- Collect information about children through interviews, observation, and approved testing tools. Make time after a session to make notes and debrief the community counsellor, family workers if present.
- Act as the child’s advocate to coordinate required community and outside services or to resolve emergency problems in crisis situations.
- Collaborate with other community agencies and staff to complete specific clinical assessments and in development of wellness plans.
- Meet with families, child and family services, police, and other interested parties to exchange necessary information during the treatment process with the approved knowledge of child, parent/guardian.
- Discuss and develop with children, parent/guardian their wellness plans for life after leaving therapy or treatment; prepare follow-up plans if warranted.
- Gather and become informed about community wellness/mental health and addictions needs and the community or regional resources that could be used in conjunction with therapy.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Master’s Degree in Mental Health and Wellness, Social Work, or Psychology
- Experience in First Nations Health Services
- Minimum of (3) years as a certified clinical mental health therapist
- Minimum of (3) years’ experience in therapeutic counselling
- Must lead a healthy lifestyle.
- Strong organization, planning, and scheduling skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle and be willing to travel.
- The Mental Health Therapist will be required to sign an Oath of Confidentiality/Code of Ethics
- The Mental Health Therapist is expected to work independently and in a team setting, take the initiative and be responsible for the quality of assigned work.
- This position involves working jointly with other staff daily on common assignments and tasks.
All applicants MUST provide the following requirements:
- Letter of Application/ Cover Letter, current resume stating qualifications, and employment history
- Copies of Credentials
- Current, Consent for Disclosure of Criminal Record Information with the Results of Vulnerable Sector Check (CPIC) from your local RCMP Detachment (will accept a copy of the receipt awaiting the check)
Please email, fax, or mail your resume stating qualifications and work experience, along with 3 work references one (1) reference from your last or current employer to:
Flying Dust First Nation
8001 Flying Dust Reserve
Meadow Lake, SK S9X 1T8 Fax: (306) 236-3373
Attn: Larena Deschamps, Human Resources Manager Email: [email protected]