Education has always been a big part of English River with the children going to Residential Schools in Ile a la Crosse and Beauval. The elementary school was first built in 1971, and by 1995 the band had erected a modern structure for the children’s benefit. High School students continued travelling to Meadow Lake, La Ronge and Beauval for secondary schooling, until the high school was completed in 2000.
The Roman Catholic Church has been a prominent part of the community. Father Louis Moraud, in 1916, became the resident priest of Patuanak. He served the English River area until his death in 1965. There is a one day pilgrimage to the Grotto near the church, which has faithful followers from English River.
Today, English River thrives with many of the people owning their own businesses from daycare and cafes to outfitters and rental stores. Many are employed at the local Northern store, through the Band Office, at the Clinic and Aboriginal Headstart Program, and at the Gas Bar. English River also owns Tron Power, an company located in Saskatoon, which empoys Aboriginal people for contracts near the mines.
Patuanak itself, as a reserve and town, is a prospering place. It lies beside the Churchill River, which never freezes over, and is surrounded by lush vegetation. The Band Office itself is a popular place, with Elders stopping by to voice their concerns with the Chief and the Councilors and youth coming by with smaller children to see relatives for a quick visit.