MLTC was created by nine First Nations located in north-west Saskatchewan who have constitutionally recognized aboriginal rights and Treaty Rights under Treaties #6, #8 and #10. The primary purpose of MLTC is to serve those First Nations in their aspirations for cultural, economic and political autonomy. As a private sector employer engaged primarily in promoting and serving the interests of the member First Nations, MLTC asserts its right to provide preferential treatment to First Nations people, giving them priority in decisions on employment matters such as hiring, and this can extend to measures such as opening competitions only to First Nations people.
- This competition is open to all applicants; and
- Preference will be given to qualified First Nations applicants or other Indigenous applicants who self-declare as being a First Nations person or of other Indigenous ancestry.
MLTC is seeking a compassionate, energetic, motivated individuals to fill the Casual Counsellor Pool at the Waskoosis Safe Shelter. Under the direction of the Waskoosis Safe Shelter Manager, the Counsellor assesses client needs and supports required; crisis and distress counselling; client case management; and develop/implement client programs. You must be able to work shift work during the day, night, and/or weekends when called upon.
Consistent with Saskatchewan Human Rights code which has an expressed exception allowing discrimination based on sex in certain qualifying situations:
Given the nature of this employment position, it will be filled by a female for the following reasons: the job-related interactions with the women residents, extreme vulnerability of residents and protection of their physical and emotional safety.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess client’s physical, emotional and mental needs, and determine the client’s needs.
- Plan, develop, support and implement a program specific to client’s needs.
- Provide clients with support, crisis and distress counselling.
- Case Management: complete and maintain client forms, records and reports, etc.
- Ensure the security and protection of the clients and their families.
- Responsible for house management during shift.
- Provide support connection to services to assist the clients to progressive planning to include school, housing, transportation within the geographic perimeter of Meadow Lake.
- Outreach and network with Human Service agencies such as the Meadow Lake NorthWest Friendship Centre, Meadow Lake Door of Hope, and other agencies in and around North Western Saskatchewan as needed.
- Liaise with: Social Services Department, legal, medical and police departments, First Nation Health & Social Development and Health Services teams, housing authorities and real estate companies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Waskoosis Safe Shelter Manager.
- Must possess a Diploma in Human Services with knowledge in Mental Health, Addictions, and Interpersonal Violence.
- Must possess a valid CPR/First Aid Certificate or willing to obtain.
- Judgement and Initiative: Must be able to use judgment when interviewing clients in abusive situations, identify elements of danger and take decisive steps to protect the clients.
- Must demonstrate effective conflict resolution skills and trauma informed practices.
- Ability to work independently; proven problem solving and good organizational skills.
- Excellent organization skills, interpersonal skills, and communication skills.
- Be familiar with and understand First Nation barriers/issues/culture.
- Ability to speak Cree/Dene is considered a valuable asset.
- Willingness to travel when required and possession of a valid driver’s license.
Interested applicants are invited to submit: A letter of application; resume stating qualifications and related work experience; copies of credentials; current RCMP Security Clearance/Vulnerable Sector Check; copy of valid driver’s license, and three (3) current professional supervisory references to:
Human Resources Department
8003 Flying Dust Reserve
MEADOW LAKE, SK S9X 1T8
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (306) 236-5654 Fax: (306) 236-3509
For more information, please contact Sheila Mirasty, Waskoosis Safe Shelter Manager at (306) 236-5817 or visit the MLTC Website at www.mltc.net
Deadline: Open Deadline
MLTC sincerely appreciates and thanks all individuals for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.